Sunday, April 6, 2014


Day 18 – 1st Day at Sea

A day at sea!  Other than visiting the actual destinations… I absolutely love days at sea.  The ships have SO many activities … and yet, sometimes taking a nice quiet nap is just what you want… and you’re not missing your planned destinations.  It also helps b/c we found out last night that, you guessed it, we’re losing ANOTHER hour.    Seriously??  Greece is in a different time zone… so, better to lose the hour and adjust on your day at sea than when you’re trying to arrange to meet a tourbus, catch a train ride, or some other formally scheduled activity.  Still… I hope this starts reversing itself soon.  I’m now 7 hours off from where I was a month ago.

We opt for a “quiet restaurant” over the buffet b/c even though the menu is much more limited, there is DEFINITE seating available and it’s much calmer. 

The girls ask to be checked in to the kids’ area and I tell them I’ll pick them up for lunch.  The boys, being teenagers, don’t get checked in… or out… they do their own thing.  Last night I saw them, and 5 other teens doing some sort of scavenger hunt all around the ship… and had a GREAT time.  They don’t want to miss a minute of the planned activities, including their “Teen Group Lunch”… so I wasn’t entirely sure when I’d get to see them.  Releasing this much control this fast is somewhat hard for somebody like me who is accustomed to juggling lots of balls at once… and always knowing where their children are (or at least are supposed to be).

Another walk around the ship, we view a group of chefs showing off their various skills from Sushi to Pastry.  I joined MIL and MIL2 for a “Trivia Competition” where we did “okay”, but hardly “fabulously”.  I’m not that good at “Pop culture” stuff.  Oh well, it was still fun.

Lunch was chaotic.  We opted for the “Regular Buffet” and the teens, while they all got their food there, ended up taking the food back to the teen room… so I just waved to the boys who waved back and told their friends, “Hey, guys, that’s my mom. Say ‘Hi’ to my mom”.  They all did.  They’re so goofy. J

The girls vault off with a new friend to take pictures as we pass through the Strait of Messina.  It’s the small strip of water that separates “the boot” of Italy from the “Ball being kicked by the Boot” known as Sicily.  Kind of a neat picture… goes along with our pictures of the Stromboli Volcano earlier this morning.  There WAS smoke that appeared to be coming from the volcano, but nobody seems concerned – apparently it has been erupting for about 2,000 years now.

The Principal opted to lie down for a nap. I journey out to find the girls and check them back in to the kids area.  I also purchased 2 lanyards for Boo Boo & Doodlebug for their Room Card keys which operate as their ID cards for entering/exiting the ship.  He doesn’t usually carry a wallet, and she doesn’t usually carry a purse like the other 2, so this will be well worth it.

After the evening meal, a number of the adults decide to see a show.  I’m not usually “up” for seeing a show… particularly a “song & dance” thing on board a glitzy cruise ship… but all the other adults want to go see it, so I venture in.  It could’ve been worse.  The show was called Shout! which, in my opinion, was a lot like CATS! … a lot of singing in search of a plot.  . (Editor's note - The Principal happens to be a fan of Cats and doesn't appreciate the comparison. :) ) Not exactly an hour of my life wasted… but stringing a lot of ‘60’s music together for no apparent plot really is lost on somebody born in the ‘70’s. The Principal sneaks off with the girls and finds some crepes and fondue - and a surprise waiting when they return to the room.

No comments:

Post a Comment